Sunday, November 02, 2008

Not About the BBC

I haven't managed to post anything for a few days, partly because it's been insanely busy but in main because it's been hard to think about anything other than the sorry business involving Messrs Brand and Ross. And if you're in my position, ie a relatively junior one, you have to be careful what you say about all this in public. Indeed most things have been said about it that can actually be said, and this morning we have the fullest expression of the row with Peter Hitchens, writing in the Mail on Sunday, likening the BBC to a cancer.

If I thought any significant proportion of the country believed that was true I'd resign first thing Monday. Paradoxically maybe, I find comfort from the sheer numbers of people complaining. If the BBC wasn't important to people they wouldn't bother. I think what annoyed people was that the indecent broadcast happened in their name, as does all the work the BBC does. If Aunty can draw lessons from this mess she could emerge the stronger.

There has been precious little to laugh about the last few days, but I giggled when I saw McCain on Saturday Night Live . Can you imagine a British Prime Minister doing this?

No comments: