Friday, May 16, 2008

Giving Up Day 18


I always knew I'd get this far, but I hadn't anticipated it being so bump free. The big enemy is boredom. Sitting in pubs is really dreary when you don't drink, although a pub quiz can wile away the hours till everyone else considers they've had enough.

The bonuses are the slow and steady disappearance of my beer belly, helped on its way by swimming and working out my old limbs in the gym. And the clear head which lasts well into the evening which makes the long shifts much easier. Maybe I'm fooling myself but I also seem to be more mentally agile.

Now I should be back on the booze next Monday, the deal being that I'd stop for three weeks as Alice suggested. But I like this now and I'm considering doing another week.

1 comment:

Alice Thompson said...

The interesting test is how much you drink when you come off - you only know if the three weeks worked when you can happily drink 1 125ml glass in a sitting rather than 2 250 ml glasses ...

... also whether you suddenly how truly, revoltingly awful most pub wine is ... which you always knew but your alcohol sozzled taste buds has forgotten ...